Friday, December 9, 2011

a bit of vintage....

Yes, i am still here.....and i am sorry i haven't posted for so long.  the truth is, i just haven't been motivated lately.  i don't know if it is the impending christmas season, the change from fall to winter, all of the photoshoots i have been doing lately or a combination of all of these.  probably the latter. 
 i am going to make it a priority to post regularly, though.  if only to challenge myself....

so.  one of the things that has been taking some of my blog time inspiration??  i have been collecting vintage sheets.  that darn pinterest has inspired me once again.....
i tried my hand at quilt making.....
a huge undertaking for someone like me. 
let me start by saying that i am no seamstress.  to be honest, i don't even like to sew and i suck at it. it reminds me of 8th grade home ec class when i had to sew culottes (yes, culottes) from a pattern.  i brought them home the day before they were due and they were a hot mess....my mom, bless her heart, and i spent the entire night redoing them and i ended up with an A on the project. (thanks mom)!  i have had an aversion to such detailed sewing since....
  but i have to admit, this was fun.  and it was easy....
 the goodwill and salvation army have been a treasure trove vintage sheets and pillowcases.
i know, it sounds gross and disgusting and i thought so too until i started seeing these beauties all over pinterest.  
 there was just something about the soft colors, the well worn and faded textures
 and to be sure, the nostalgia associated with seeing a sheet that i had as a child.  see the turquoise flower and stripe (top right) below?  i had sheets just like that when i was a teenager...
now, the thought of cutting and piecing little squares daunted me but i found instructions for a strip quilt.
sewing the fabric, batting and back all at the same time?  in long strips instead of little squares?  
sign me up!!...
it literally took me about 5 hours to complete.  most of that time was spent deciding which sheets to use and cutting the strips.  the actual quilting consisted of sewing straight lines and some curvy ones to hide my mistakes on the back just for interest.  
it is just a lap quilt and is 50 x 72.  i used twin and double sheets as well as a few pillowcases for it...some of the strips are actually the decorative tops of flat sheets,
a lot of them are trimmed in lace or other fabrics and added color and textural interest.  you can sort of see the lace trim above and below.  the pink strip was also a sheet top.....
  the backing is a full sized sheet... the salvation army had the top and bottom sheet as a set for $6.99 which was way more than i would spend but it was half off that day.  where can you buy probably 7 or more yards of fabric for $3.50?   the batting for this quilt was $14.99 for 72 x 90 which was on clearance at hobby lobby.  the vintage sheets (i used 5) and pillowcases (i used 3)  ranged in price from .99 for a set of pillowcases to between .75 and $4.00 for the sheets.  i probably used about 1/4 of each sheet that i used and just the folded edges of the pillowcases, so my best estimate is under $20 for the quilt.
it is a nice lightweight quilt, perfect for snuggling up under in the winter and light enough to use in the summer air conditioning...
i have tons more vintage sheets



and i think they will make beautiful quilts.....

18 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

It isn't gross or disgusting! In fact maybe some of those sheets came out of my parents house when I brought them to Salvation Army!! haha! I think the quilt looks awesome, so soft and pastelly! I only like to post when I am feeling creative too, so when you are not in the zone it is called work!

Anonymous said...

I just saw some cool table runners sewed this way. Love your idea of using vintage sheets... my mom has a bag of sheets that she wants to get rid of; now I know what I can do with them! <3

Musings Of A Gem said...

Hi Cindy!

It looks amazing! I love the stripe look and all those colours and patterns are so beautiful.

I think using bed sheets are the best and cheapest way to make a quilt (I'll remember that for next time!!). Well done you!! It is something to be so proud of : )

I thought you hadn't been blogging for a while. I missed reading your posts but it is better to want to blog than just doing it for the sake of doing it.

I hope your feeling all festive!

Gemma x

lala said...

Your quilt is absolutely charming!!!! Can't wait to see more creations, especially from that gorgeous pile of pink and roses sheets!

Unknown said...

I have missed you and I was beginning to wonder if maybe you were on vacation on some island paradise drinking a cocktail with an umbrella in it...Love the quilt.
Jackie

Elisabeth said...

It's beautiful!

Rebecca Miller said...

I recognize one of the prints. I had sheets like that as a child. This is very cool Cindy. I love your creativity. You inspire me:)

Tania Pelletier said...

Oh, that is so beautiful! I love old sheets and your quilt is lovely!

Tania

Unknown said...

So beautiful! The colors make me smile and of course, I love the fact that you re-purposed vintage laundry! Thanks for sharing with {air your laundry friday}! xo Jami

DeAnn said...

I love the idea of using sheets to make a quilt. I have 3 full size sets that I can not let go because they were given to be as wedding gifts, 34 years ago. My mother recently passed away and has sheets from my childhood as well that bring back childhood memories. I have also seen many at thrift stores like ones we have had in the past. I have never made a quilt, but I can not wait to make one.

Lisa said...

You do so well at salvation army.

Anonymous said...

I am wanting to make a quilt just like this. What kind of batting do you like? I'm new at this!

Cindy said...

anonymous...i used a basic polyester batting for the quilt. now when i quilt, i use a natural cotton batting. there was no pattern, i just googled "strip quilt" and found a tutorial.... :)

bizzymom56 said...

I'm 59 years old and when I think of some of the sheets that I have used over the years for my babies, I could just cry now thinking about the fabulous quilts I could have made with their Mickey Mouse, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, Power Ranger, well you get the idea of the different sets that've gone through my house and could have been saved for a great project like this. Fabulous idea dear girl!!!

Mcxen said...

This article give me a lot of inspiration. thank you for letting me see this info

Daniel said...

I appreciate this blog of yours. Post more good contents please, Thank you

Dahlia said...

I enjoyed a lot. Great Article its really informative. goodjob! Thanks

Kramer said...

Great article post. Fantastic. Thanks so much for the blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails