i haven't had enough to do lately, so i thought i would take on another project. i woke up on saturday, walked into my powder room and decided that i was sick of the black cabinet in there and took the doors off.
i figured if i started dismantling it, i would have to finish it. it is getting a new paint job.
that lovely brass toilet paper holder got a little facelift too!
i figured that if i was going to take on this task on the spur of the moment, it was going to have to be simple and quick. so i broke out the chalk paint and started painting.
i used paris grey
and then realized that the walls are grey too....
so. i have another design in mind for this room. the most changed out room in our house in the almost 12 years that we have lived here... if i am remembering correctly, this would be the sixth design change in this room. (crickets)
anyway, with the walls being grey and the cabinet being grey, i distressed them a little and left them with a rather rough finish. i love the contrast between the rough texture and the cute new knobs.
the toilet paper holder was sprayed with a dark bronze metallic and it instantly updated it.
bye-bye brass...hello, modern!!
i also painted the inside of the cabinet doors just for fun. because bathrooms should be fun, right?
and my homage to harry potter...the lumos/nox light switch. they are just scrapbooking stickers but it is a fun touch. i have done this on a few other switch plates around the house...(and i know that the switches are really grungy and dirty but i am not sure how to clean them....a q-tip didn't fit under there and i am afraid to spray any cleaner into that area.
you know, electrocution and all! :)
(so if anyone knows how to clean the on/off switches, please let me know)!!
my plan to finish this room off is to replace the flooring with a vintage looking tile, a board and batten treatment for the walls and paintable embossed wallpaper in a vintagy tin ceiling style for the ceiling. i have never wallpapered a ceiling but the room is very small so i think it is doable....
i may try a little stenciling on the walls too.
i did finish one project that i have been working on. this quilt was made for a very dear friend who is expecting a baby girl. her baby shower was on sunday.
this is the first one that i made using store bought fabrics instead of vintage sheets, although i did use one for the back of the quilt. since it is for a baby, and babies are tactile, i wanted to incorporate as many textures as i could.
i used linen and lace,
flannel and fur
and corduroy that feels like velvet....it was so soft...
i also made some coordinating burp cloths for her but neglected to take pictures of them.
the picture below is the only one i have of them...but they were really cute....
i loved this quilt...and so did she!
i started a part time job working a couple hours a day for a few weeks in the front office of an elementary school. i love working with the kids and the people that work with me are great. it is a really fun job and hopefully it will become a permanent part time job.
i will be sharing a couple more projects that are almost finished in the next few days....