Saturday, August 20, 2011

oh, yes i "can".....

our fabulous neighbors and friends, curt and laura
left for utah last week to drop off their daughter
at byu for her first year in college.  since they will be gone for 10 days, we are in charge of looking after their garden.  the day before they left, they had picked a huge bowl full of tomatoes, banana peppers and jalapeno peppers.  since they would probably go bad before they came back, 
they were entrusted to me....
hmmmmm....what to do with the first real bounty of summer?.....
salsa, of course!
so i canned 12 pints of it.....
a few days ago, i hit up their garden again and came home with this.
see that really big one at the top, the one that is split in two?   it put up a valiant fight to prevent me from picking it.....but i won.
there weren't enough peppers to make more salsa, so i just canned the tomatoes.....
6 quarts of garden gold.....
now, if only our garden will start producing tomatoes like these......
i will be checking their garden later today to see if there is anymore to pick....
and to can!!!
and just because they are so cute, here are the rest of the kids


hope you have a great weekend.....

4 comments:

Privet and Holly said...

You've got to
be the BEST
neighbor going!!
I am planning
on making jam
when I return to
MN....I picked
and froze 17 pounds
earlier in the
summer! I've given
up on growing any
tomotoes....our season
just isn't long enough!
xx Suzanne

Musings Of A Gem said...

Wow...i'm totally jealous! I love growing my own but I never seem to have everything ready at the same time..it's just 1 tomato here and then another a few days later. Your neighbours must be doing something right!

Yummy Salsa : )

Gemma x

Pine Tree Home said...

Please share your recipe. I've got a load of cherry tomatoes and combo of peppers about ready for picking. I'd love to can some.

joanne said...

oh my goodness...you are killing me with all that salsa, but also the bounty of beauties that you harvested...

.there is nothing i love more than homegrown tomatoes....i lust for them....takes me back to my childhood when i camped out under the steps with a bag of fresh tomatoes, a salt shaker and a tower of books from the library ! ... what a way to spend part of the summer in the midwest...when you are just a child.....

haven't lost the zest for the tomatoes, but living in sw arizona does not produce the tomato crops like the rich soil of other areas...and a more moderate climate of course.....thank you so much for sharing! please include the salsa recipe....thanks again...

Related Posts with Thumbnails